DmC: Devil May Cry | Hype Thread | 8.0 (360) 7.5 (PS3) | Out Today On PC!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#551 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

MGSR has shallower combat on top of QTE, it's funny to see people giving PG a pass just because of older work, lmao.

GD1551
And DmC combat is soooo complex :roll:
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#552 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

MGSR has shallower combat on top of QTE, it's funny to see people giving PG a pass just because of older work, lmao.

GD1551

Stop being so upset about things, it's pathetic.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#553 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

rjdofu

More complex than MGR.. which was my point in the first place Mr high standards.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#554 OneSanitarium

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

More complex than MGR.. which was my point in the first place Mr high standards.

If I remember, you recently said you don't like GOW because of it's combat, you like it for other things. Almost feels like theres a double standard going on.

Why does MGR need deep combat to be good? DmC had a legacy to live up to. MGR doesn't. MGR isn't trying to be the apex of deep, combo based gameplay. You also can't judge it's difficulty or enemy variety based on a demo from TGS 2012.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#555 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

GD1551

I love how just use words without ever backing them with anything.

It's shallower in what way? Because it's not as dial a combo happy? It's clearly not built with that in mind. It's not meant to be a run up the score game ala DMC and Bayonetta were. And even then there are plenty of combo options, and different move sets in the game that go quickly over looked because of the demos poor information. Hell it's all over Neogaf and in onesanisomesh1t's post in my thread.

Between the more advanced stuff you can do with the parry to the stuff with the launchers, stringers, and slide moves. Enemies also aren't the DMC brand of punching bags and are far more aggressive than anything we were given in the DMC demo, and boss fights wise it isn't even close. It already made a great showing by simply not having a larger pattern based fight and instead choosing to pick an enemy that is more about speed.

The feedback has good impact, the controls are fluid, it runs at twice the frames on consoles, and QTEs are finishers that you can't always rely on ala God of War grapples(not to mention they are hardly an automatic bad thing or even worthy of a complaint). And that's all from what the standard starting weapon and none of the unlocks?

Based on the two demos of the games Revengeance gives you a lot more excited about. DmC on the flip side forget living up to DMC 3 or 4, it's barely satisfying in its own right.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#556 GD1551

If I remember, you recently said you don't like GOW because of it's combat, you like it for other things. Almost feels like theres a double standard going on.

Why does MGR need deep combat to be good? DmC had a legacy to live up to. MGR doesn't. MGR isn't trying to be the apex of deep, combo based gameplay. You also can't judge it's difficulty or enemy variety based on a demo from TGS 2012.

OneSanitarium

A reboot doesn't have any standard to live up to and really I can only comment on the demo. I haven't played anything else. People here made their judgements off DMC's demo, why is it an issue if I make mine off of MGSR's?

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#557 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

jg4xchamp

I love how just use words without ever backing them with anything.

It's shallower in what way? Because it's not as dial a combo happy?

Because it doesn't have the challenge of NG or the combo system as even the DMC reboot. The design is so bad they can't even place a block button because the game would reach a point it became mindnumbingly easy (not like it wasn't already). Even with the lack of instruction it was fairly easy to figure out that extra inputs would give different moves, but why use them if enemies are so easy? There wasn't meant to be a scoring system and sliding --> Blade mode killed most grunts and the walker guys were slow and predictable. Even the wolf/dog whatever was easy and I only got hit from twice during my first encounter, the first time was with his 3 hit combo, because I didn't realize it was a 3 hit combo and the second time was from his dart thing.. after that smooth sailing. The game is like my first action game level of lame.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#558 OneSanitarium

A reboot doesn't have any standard to live up to and really I can only comment on the demo. I haven't played anything else. People here made their judgements off DMC's demo, why is it an issue if I make mine off of MGSR's?

GD1551

A reboot does have a standard when its gameplay as a whole is less than the series it rebooted.

It's an issue because you're being an ass and a moron about it.

You're making assessments about the entire game as a whole. People did that about the DmC demo, but from what I remember it's only for the combat system, and the demo had half of the weapons and the same mechanics.

You say the combat isn't deep because you can't do DMC level combo ability,but I don't think you've tried to experiemnt at all, and I don't think you're understanding that there will be more weapons in the future.

You also seem upset that people are enjoying the demo.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#559 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

PC version can be installed properly onw if you were having problems before. Mine is installing right now

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#560 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

OneSanitarium

A reboot does have a standard when its gameplay as a whole is less than the series it rebooted.

You're making assessments about the entire game as a whole. People did that about the DmC demo, but from what I remember it's only for the combat system, and the demo had half of the weapons and the same mechanics.

You say the combat isn't deep because you can't do DMC level combo ability,but I don't think you've tried to experiemnt at all, and I don't think you're understanding that there will be more weapons in the future.

I am not upset people are enjoying anything. I just find the double standard hilarious, it's all a character study, nothing more. Also I have experimented with the combat in MGSR, I already explained that I caught on fairly quickly and tried giving multiple button/input combinations a try.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561 rjdofu

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

I am not upset people are enjoying anything. I just find the double standard hilarious, it's all a character study, nothing more. Also I have experimented with the combat in MGSR, I already explained that I caught on fairly quickly and tried giving multiple button/input combinations a try.

It's your opinion that this game is shallow, that doesn't make me or anyone who bash the sh!tty DmC core mechanic & enjoy MSR mechanics double standard.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#562 GD1551

It's your opinion that this game is shallow, that doesn't make me or anyone who bash the sh!tty DmC core mechanic & enjoy MSR mechanics double standard. rjdofu

You can't sit here and say that MGSR has a deep combat system, you were the person who said that you have a high standard in your action games. MGSR is not anywhere near the top.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#563 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]

It's your opinion that this game is shallow, that doesn't make me or anyone who bash the sh!tty DmC core mechanic & enjoy MSR mechanics double standard. GD1551

You can't sit here and say that MGSR has a deep combat system, you were the person who said that you have a high standard in your action games. MGSR is not anywhere near the top.

Nobody here is saying that.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#565 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]

It's your opinion that this game is shallow, that doesn't make me or anyone who bash the sh!tty DmC core mechanic & enjoy MSR mechanics double standard. GD1551

Point me where I said that.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#566 rjdofu

I hate how Mundas has been reduced to a balding, middle aged business man.

Stringerboy
The whole plot was saving the human race from corrupted mainstream media controlled by demon, what do you expect.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]

It's your opinion that this game is shallow, that doesn't make me or anyone who bash the sh!tty DmC core mechanic & enjoy MSR mechanics double standard. rjdofu

Go look through this thread for it, it has 29 pages.. I'm not searching for anything.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#568 rjdofu

GD1551

Go look through this thread for it, it has 29 pages.. I'm not searching for anything.

I LOL'D.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#569 GD1551

[QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

rjdofu

The whole plot was

So what? Just because you angry you had to spoil what the game was about?

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#570 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

GD1551

The whole plot was

So what? Just because you angry you had to spoil what the game was about?

Huh? Angry abut wut? The plot was clear as day from years ago lol, what else to spoil?
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#571 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]

It's your opinion that this game is shallow, that doesn't make me or anyone who bash the sh!tty DmC core mechanic & enjoy MSR mechanics double standard. Yangire

I never said they were, I was referring to him specifically in that regard, but I was also extending the fact that somehow people can overlook the simplicity of MGR but can't do it here, even though this game is a REBOOT and it was said that it was a reboot from the get go.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#572 GD1551

Huh? Angry abut wut? The plot was clear as day from years ago lol, what else to spoil?rjdofu

I never knew what the game's plot was about, I have no idea how you think it was "clear".

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#573 rjdofu

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

I never said they were, I was referring to him specifically in that regard, but I was also extending the fact that somehow people can overlook the simplicity of MGR but can't do it here, even though this game is a REBOOT and it was said that it was a reboot from the get go.

Point me where I said that. Reboot or not, it's a DMC game, fact.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#574 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]

Huh? Angry abut wut? The plot was clear as day from years ago lol, what else to spoil?GD1551

I never knew what the game's plot was about, I have no idea how you think it was "clear".

:|, quite surprising, but you know it now :lol:
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#575 GD1551

:|, quite surprising, but you know it now :lol:rjdofu

Ugh ok... btw..

There's nothing stupid about having a standard. In fact, having a hack & slash genre is a good enough reason for it to be compared to the best games in the genre out there.

^ This is you

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"] :|, quite surprising, but you know it now :lol:GD1551

Ugh ok... btw..

There's nothing stupid about having a standard. In fact, having a hack & slash genre is a good enough reason for it to be compared to the best games in the genre out there.

^ This is you

Oooook, where did I said MGR was deep?
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#577 GD1551

Oooook, where did I said MGR was deep?rjdofu

I never said that you said that. I am merely said that you cannot say MGR is deep, yet you praise it like the next coming.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#578 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]

Oooook, where did I said MGR was deep?GD1551

I never said that you said that. I am merely said that you cannot say MGR is deep, yet you praise it like the next coming.

What's your definition of a deep combat system?
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#579 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Mmmm such a fun game, I just hope that I don't finish it too quickly. Dont see how anyone can hate this game, its pretty damn good
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#580 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11699 Posts
OKay I'm downloading right now. Got the game fro $27. Oh PC gaming :) Now my backlog is even greater!
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#581 jg4xchamp

Because it doesn't have the challenge of NG or the combo system as even the DMC reboot. GD1551
Not being as challenging as NG isn't exactly a detriment to the games quality. Lots of games aren't as hard as that game. And while DmC maybe more custom combo friendly it's not some bastion of combo based gameplay. If anything it's far more forgiving as a game, and more gimped. And it's not nearly as visceral in feedback, and demo to demo the boss fight in Revengeance is just flat out more interesting to fight.

The design is so bad they can't even place a block button because the game would reach a point it became mindnumbingly easy (not like it wasn't already).

Questionable argument at best. But sure I would much prefer they move parry to the LB button, and turn the B button into what LB is right now.

Even with the lack of instruction it was fairly easy to figure out that extra inputs would give different moves, but why use them if enemies are so easy?

The f*ck kind of argument is this? What reason does one have to use more elaborate combos in God of War? what does one gain out of doing more elaborate combos in NG? Flying Swallow and Izuna drops can carry you through out normal difficulty if you know how to play defense properly. The more challenging games if anything welcome players being more cheesy and spam happy to succeed. Ninja Gaiden 2 on its higher difficulties is less about mastering the battle system and far more about cheesing the system right back for its bullsh1t. Doesn't make that combat scheme any less fantastic.

These games usually reward styIish play either via scoreboard systems(which technically revengeance has, but not necessarily for combo strings ala DmC/Bayonetta) or in general by saying hey you have other options. Plus that's what multiple difficulty levels are for if you really want to be challenged, and the only gripe you'd have there is if hard mode isn't unlocked from the get go(which is 50/50 at this point).

Your argument that it is a more "shallow" experience, and frankly demo to demo nothing about DmC is flattering as a hack n slash. It's not bad. It's just a gimped version of the DMC formula. Revengeance to its credit while having some similarities has its own hooks going for it unlike say more uninspired hack n slash/action games like Dante's Inferno or Castlevania Lord of Shadows. It also helps that when judging these games on their demos one of them is running at twice the framerate. Hint it's not DMC.

Difficulty aside experimentation is rewarded in Revengeance about as much as it is in DmC, and frankly it's just far more brutal as a combat scheme.

DmC's demo shows what advantage? half the frames(which okay the PC version fixes), a weaker boss segment, better art direction, Revengeance's battle system is far from DMC 3/NG2/Bayonetta territory, but the combat scheme is fast, slick, and nuanced enough to reward finese on the players part while still being accessible. If the games boss fights/combat encounters are well done, and it matches Platinum/Clovers previous track record for replayable game design than it's just another good edition to the hack n slash genre.

DmC on the flip side at this point while being nowhere near as bad as the haters might make it out to be is still what...above average at best? Being a reboot doesn't excuse it for its not so flattering game design decisions, and it has just as many if we're really going to act like Revengeance is some shallow piece of sh1t.

Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#582 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]

Oooook, where did I said MGR was deep?rjdofu

Continuously asking questions only shows how you're nothing but cornered. It's making you look dumb and like a child.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#583 jg4xchamp

sanim02

Continuously asking questions only shows how you're nothing but cornered. It's making you look dumb and like a child.

Not necessarily. If you're gonna constantly call something shallow than you need to at least be able to point out something that isn't shallow, and why specifically that isn't shallow in comparison. Especially in a gameplay mechanics argument it definitely helps exactly what kind of games you're comparing it to.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#584 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

sanim02

Somone's taking gamespot too seriously.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#585 rjdofu

[QUOTE="sanim02"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"] What's your definition of a deep combat system?Yangire

Somone's taking gamespot too seriously.

Shhhh, there have to be one who wins that "debate". lol
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#586 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

[QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

rjdofu

The whole plot was saving the human race from corrupted mainstream media controlled by demon, what do you expect.

Fvck, I bet SNIPER's all over this game right now.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#587 rjdofu

sanim02

Why so offensive? I don't know why the "like a child" arguments are being called out so often here, is that something related to intelligence/credibility or sh!t like that?

And yes, I want to know his definition of a deep combat system, because he seems to be using his opinion as a universal standard.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#588 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11699 Posts
This game runs and looks amazing in Quad HD @ 120fps. Feels soo good.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#589 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Played the first two missions, totally don't understand anyone complaining about the combat system not being deep enough. They made it easier to pull off moves (not that that's a bad thing, in fact the little glint of the weapons and slight rumble that signifies you've "paused" enough is great for getting the hang of the timings) and made the overall game easier for sure, but the combat still has tons and tons of moves, the shops still function the same, health still functions the same, and Dante is nowhere near as bad as people were whining about, he's said "sh*t" once so far, OMG SO IMMATURE!!!

And even though there's no lock on which I'm sure will get frustrating later on, on they've managed to get around it pretty well by mixing up certain things. For instance I really like the launcher being on B as well as it being either a tap or a hold to follow them, means you can launch people and then hit them with other weapons, shoot them and throw them about a bit without even leaving the ground.

Also RE: The PC Port, it's pretty fantastic, runs silky smooth at 60+ FPS with everything turned on, here's a few screenshots:

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#590 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

LOL damn GD you really know how to rustle some weebo jimmies.

:lol:

Chuubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#591 Chuubby
Member since 2012 • 251 Posts

[QUOTE="sanim02"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"] What's your definition of a deep combat system?rjdofu

Why so offensive? I don't know why the "like a child" arguments are being called out so often here, is that something related to intelligence/credibility or sh!t like that?

And yes, I want to know his definition of a deep combat system, because he seems to be using his opinion as a universal standard.

The definition of a deep combat system is as follows...

A deep combat system is one that has been so tine tuned and perfected that you can literally fist it until your entire arm is inside and then pull it out again and there will be no blood, poop or messyness. On the other hand MGSR has a very simple combat system and if you tried to fist it you would probably go to jail for sexually assualting a minor ;)

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#592 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Hack and Slash games always look awesome in combat pics.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#593 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9901 Posts

Played the first two missions, totally don't understand anyone complaining about the combat system not being deep enough. They made it easier to pull off moves (not that that's a bad thing, in fact the little glint of the weapons and slight rumble that signifies you've "paused" enough is great for getting the hang of the timings) and made the overall game easier for sure, but the combat still has tons and tons of moves, the shops still function the same, health still functions the same, and Dante is nowhere near as bad as people were whining about, he's said "sh*t" once so far, OMG SO IMMATURE!!!

And even though there's no lock on which I'm sure will get frustrating later on, on they've managed to get around it pretty well by mixing up certain things. For instance I really like the launcher being on B as well as it being either a tap or a hold to follow them, means you can launch people and then hit them with other weapons, shoot them and throw them about a bit without even leaving the ground

bobbetybob
That sounds promising, will pick it up once my backlog is finished :D! I bet that of the people who loudly complain about DMC, only about 1-5% are advanced enough players to really suffer from the changes.
Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#594 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

And even though there's no lock on which I'm sure will get frustrating later on, on they've managed to get around it pretty well by mixing up certain things. For instance I really like the launcher being on B as well as it being either a tap or a hold to follow them, means you can launch people and then hit them with other weapons, shoot them and throw them about a bit without even leaving the ground.

Also RE: The PC Port, it's pretty fantastic, runs silky smooth at 60+ FPS with everything turned on, here's a few screenshots

bobbetybob

Yea, somewhat agree. Aside from how he looks, and some stupid moments, Dante ain't all that bad. The stupid moments do stick out though.

Ah, I'm using a sixaxis PS3 controller without vibration, so I can't be bothered to pause most of the times. Although the moves are different enough that I'm limiting myself by doing so.

Game looks decent too. My own 1080p gameplay here: DMC PC

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#595 OneSanitarium

bobbetybob

May I ask what other DMC games you've played? Just curious.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#596 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

This games actually surprisingly fun once you get a few moves and powers under your belt to combo with.

Playing on the hardest difficulty they give you at the start, It's way too easy to get an SSS chain going tho once you have the skills to work with.

I'm on the third mission.

I really wish the demon weapon wasn't a axe, it's pretty slow and clunky and Just not my style.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#597 OneSanitarium

I really wish the demon weapon wasn't a axe, it's pretty slow and clunky and Just not my style.

ReadingRainbow4

Both the demon weapons are pretty slow, but the next one lets you hit enemies to the ground and have them bounce up to you.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#598 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

ReadingRainbow4
Thats kinda the point of the demon weapon. Slow and hard hitting
Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#599 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts
"They made it easier to pull of moves, not that that's a problem" - bobbetybob Basically, DmC is a game for people who haven't played or are TERRIBLE at previous DMC games. Heaven's forbid you play any NG game before NG3 either lmao. This genre has been dragged into sh!t. Smh. EDIT: There's a even a rumble to let you know that you're doing good on your simple button mashing? LMAO :lol: oh my...
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#600 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

Why is it only A on PS3 and AA on 360? :|